



My husband loves, big, beautiful, real Christmas trees. When we first got married, I was amazed about the amount of time, money, and energy that went into buying a Christmas tree. The year Anna was born on Nov. 30, Dan broke down and went and bought an artificial tree. It was large. When we moved to this house, we had to put the tree in a room by itself, for it was the only place it would fit. I really wanted the tree in the living room. I love the tree in the living room. The kids were dying to go to a tree farm and pick out a tree. Dan and I are starting Dave Ramsey's class Financial Peace University in January, so we are trying to prepare ourselves, and trying to be good stewards of our money. It was Christmas time after all, and we are in a recession. So our requirements were a very tall, but skinny and beautiful tree, that costs $30. I know, not possible.
Andrew got $10 from Gigi and Poppy for Halloween, and has been saving his money. He heard us talking about being good stewards of our money, etc, so he packed up his wallet and wanted to buy the family a tree with his $10. He was super excited.
We go to a "tree farm" right by our house. They actually have really tall and really skinny trees! Before we go in, Dan says should we pray? Side note, we had Steve and Debbie Wilson come do our marriage retreat, and they tell the best stories! They tell a story when they first get married, that Steve is a new youth pastor and needs a suit. So they need to go shopping. Steve says they have no money and Debbie says to put it on the credit card. Big fight, but Steve agrees he has to own a suit, so they set out to shop. Steve says they need to pray before the go. Debbie thinks he is crazy and she doesn't even close her eyes! At every store Debbie wants to go in, Steve says no, it doesn't feel right. At the last store, she says does this store FEEL right, and he says yes. They are shopping in the clearance racks, and a store worker comes up to them, and takes them over to the "expensive" suits. After a while, Steve swallows his pride, and says I appreciate you helping us, but we really can't afford these suits. The worker says, I know who you are, and I am the store buyer, so as long as I work here, you will get all your clothes at my cost.
So, Dan says a quick prayer and we head into the "tree farm." Andrew keeps asking the lady where the $10 trees are. I walk in and actually see the perfect tree, but it is $70! We keep walking around, and the lady says that we can have that tree I keep coming back to for $40, and Andrew pipes in that he had $10. So as I signed the debit card, and I saw the $30 charge, I realized God showed up.
Later that night, we told Andrew that God used him today. I will never forget the look in his eyes. The look of when someone really sees Jesus, you know, tears welling up in your eyes, but a huge smile and sense of pride.
God taught us all a lesson that day. He will show up in the tiniest of details if we are willing to ask for help.
1 comment:
What a great story! We LOVE Dave Ramsey. That is great you are going through FPU. We have not officially done it but Chris has listened to the CDs and I have listened to most of them.
Post a Comment