Friday, August 15, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten

So, today was the day I have dreaded since the day Andrew was born ~ his first day of Kindergarten! I have prayed about and fretted over this day since the day he was born. Why? I guess because he is not with me for the majority of his waking hours like he has been for every day before now. And kids are mean. I know he went to preschool and lunch bunch, but this is different. Someone else besides me gets to spend the majority of their day with my precious baby boy. I just love him and love spending time with him, and now someone else is doing that ~ teaching him, watching him learn. But, oh, how faithful God is. I have prayed and prayed over where to send him. God closed all the doors on other schools, and this is the only door he didn't close. About a week ago I found out who is teacher was going to be. It was someone I know and really like, and I know she loves Jesus! We also found out that in a class of 16, he already knew 3 kids, and one of them sat at his table! His best friend is in the class across the hall, and a good friend of mine teaches across the hall. I know people are looking out for him. What comfort! I stand in awe of how good God is. He prepared all of this ahead of time, so I would have peace on my baby boy's first day of Kindergarten.

We have been out-of-town all week, and in hindsight, that wasn't the best decision! I was scrambling this morning. Didn't have a drink for lunch, etc. Andrew was in no hurry. Dan had to wake him up. I don't really believe in waking kids up. He ate breakfast and got dress. Not as many pictures as I would have like. I had to wake Anna up too. I already picked out a dress for her to wear, so we would have no drama from her. She was a dream. She put on clothes on, fixed hair, and was ready to go in 5 minutes! She didn't even complain that I didn't feed her breakfast.

We load up in the car, and I tell Andrew I want to pray for him. My next-door-neighbor from our previous house told me she did that every morning before school with her teenage daughter. She would ask her in there was anything going on at school that day that she wanted her to pray about, like a test, or a mean girl, etc. I have always thought that that was an incredible idea. The teenage years, in my opinion, are the hardest. Can you imagine how much easier it is when you know that your mom is praying about a particular situation as you are walking thru it? So any I was praying very positively as to not freak Andrew out, and that is when I teared up. Thank you God for Andrew being able to go to a school where they love and serve Jesus, where we know people, for a great teacher, friends there, etc. We arrive on time, but there are people already leaving. I can't find a parking place. We find one far away and start walking. I make both of them hold my hand in the parking lot, but as soon as we hit the sidewalk, I tell Andrew he can walk alone. Anna and I walk ahead, and Andrew follows. Backpack on and lunch box in hand. We have to walk thru the high school students, which intimidates me, but never a word from him. We walk in the building and the principal meets us. Very friendly and personable. He asks if I smocked Anna's dress. I laugh and say no, I bought it. We go in the hall, and Anna and I go left, and Andrew goes right. A teacher stops him and says I think you go in the other class, but I will take you if you want. I show him his class and table. He says Mom I have to go put my backpack and lunch in my locker. He is now the adult. We go do that and go back to the table. The little boy across the table says I remember you, and they start talking. I take a picture and say are you ready for me to go. He says yes. I say a love you, and he says I love you too. I say I'll miss you, and he says I will miss you too! He is so confident. I pray he always has that quality. Anna is a good as gold, and we leave. I go get her donuts.

We walk back in the door at 8:10. Dan is calling. I tell him how it went. We feel so blessed about his teacher and school. I told him I will need to go shopping for some retail therapy. After we hang up I read sweet Stephanie 's post, and am so grateful to have Dan here to walk thru this with me.

So, here I am. I little lost without my baby. I told Anna we would play if she would let me type this. I guess I had better go. Thanks for "listening."

Okay, now it is 10:00 and it has only been 2 hours, but it seems like 12 hours! I have to get out of here. I think it would be good for me to go shopping! One child is very freeing!

2 comments:

Bran said...

sweet thing...i too am dreading that day! so glad andrew took it so well! girl you are right...GOD is so good at the details!

Erin said...

Oh Robin... I know it's hard, and I wasn't expecting it to be so hard! I made Chad stay home with me Bek's first day, and I was watching the clock all day waiting for 2:30, so we could go get her!

Yeah for a great teacher and friends for Andrew!